

IEEE Meeting Proposed Agenda

Expected Date of Meeting: August 20, 2024

Expected Duration: 90min

Location: Online at: <https://meet.google.com/mzp-janc-euq?authuser=2>

Agenda

1. Call to Order
 2. Land Acknowledgement
 3. Roll Call
 4. Meeting Rules
 5. Administrative Motions
 6. Executive Updates
 7. Discussion
 8. Varia
 9. Adjournment
 10. Closing Remarks
-

IEEE Meeting Minutes

1. Call to Order

The meeting was called to order at 6:05

2. Land Acknowledgement - Reconnaissance des Terres

As we gather here today, we begin by paying our deepest respects to the Algonquin and Mohawk people, the original inhabitants and enduring stewards of the land on which we stand. This land, part of a region with a rich tapestry of Indigenous nations, remains unceded and unsundered, resonant with the pulse of millennia of Indigenous

presence, culture, and guardianship. We recognize the Algonquin and Mohawk as the traditional guardians of this territory, a responsibility they have borne with reverence and resilience throughout the generations. Their ties to the land are ancient and enduring, woven into the fabric of their cultures and identities, a sacred connection that persists in the face of challenges and changes. We are reminded that our presence here is interconnected with the longstanding histories and rich cultures of Indigenous peoples who have cared for this land from time immemorial.

We acknowledge the traditional knowledge keepers, those who carry the wisdom of the ancestors, the stories of the land, and the teachings of the natural world. They are the custodians of an invaluable legacy that continues to guide and enrich our communities. Their wisdom, passed down through generations, remains a beacon that lights the way for sustainable coexistence with the land and with each other. We also honor the courageous leaders, those who have come before us, those who stand among us, and those who are yet to emerge. Their leadership, grounded in the principles of justice, sovereignty, and self-determination, paves the path for future generations. They stand as testament to the enduring spirit and resilience of Indigenous peoples, facing adversity with strength and unwavering resolve. Lastly, we recognize the youth, the emerging generation of Indigenous leaders and knowledge keepers, who carry forward the hopes and dreams of their ancestors. They embody the potential for a future that holds respect, recognition, and reconciliation at its core.

In our acknowledgment, we affirm our commitment to learning, to understanding more deeply the history and the living legacy of colonialism. We pledge to engage in dialogue, to listen with open hearts, and to forge relationships built on mutual respect and shared purpose. We invite those who are not on this land to reflect upon the territories they occupy, wherever they may be. Resources such as native-land.ca can offer guidance in identifying the Indigenous lands on which we live, work, and gather, encouraging an ongoing process of learning and recognition.

As we walk forward, may we do so with mindfulness of the past, attentiveness to the present, and unwavering commitment to a future where the rights and treaties of Indigenous peoples are upheld and honored. In the spirit of peace and friendship, we continue to seek ways to live and work on these lands in harmony with the people who have called this place home since the beginning.

For countless generations, the Algonquin and Mohawk peoples have maintained an unbroken bond with this territory, a relationship that has never been formally ceded or surrendered. Their resilience in the face of adversity and their profound understanding of the land's secrets are awe-inspiring. We look upon their stewardship with admiration and gratitude, recognizing that their ancient wisdom continues to enrich our collective journey on this shared earth.

It is our privilege to extend our deepest appreciation to the traditional knowledge keepers who, whether young or old, stand as the living repositories of wisdom. Their profound insights, teachings, and the continuity of ancient practices offer a profound insight into the intricate web of life that surrounds us. With profound humility, we embrace the lessons of the past and present, knowing that they guide us toward a more harmonious and sustainable future.

As we stand on this sacred ground, let us carry forward the lessons of the Algonquin and Mohawk nations, the collective wisdom of Indigenous peoples, and the aspirations of those who lead us into the future. Let this acknowledgment serve as a poignant reminder of our shared responsibility to honor the land, respect its custodians, and work collaboratively for a more inclusive, equitable, and sustainable world. For those who are not in Ottawa, please refer to <https://native-land.ca>.

3. Roll Call

Present - Présent.e.s

- Executives:

Kevin

Farah

Manaal

Jad

Fayza

Aya

Madison

Quinn

Xavier

Akhil

Joey

Eric

4. Meeting Rules

Speaking Order

- Point of Privilege
 - Pinky finger raised / "P" in the chat
- Clarification / Point of Parliamentary Inquiry
 - "C"-shaped hand raised / "C" in the chat
- Reply to current discussion point
 - Two fingers raised / "2" in the chat
- New point of discussion regarding current motion/matter
 - Index finger raised / "1" in the chat

Requests and Inquiries

- Point of Privilege: request for immediate assistance, requesting to be temporarily excused from the meeting, unable to hear speaker
- Clarification: asking someone to repeat what they said, expand on an acronym, or provide a definition/context to what they are saying. Cannot be used to add new material.
- Point of Parliamentary Inquiry: asking the Chair for their opinion (not official ruling) on a matter of procedure.
- Circular discussion / "Calling to Question": Calling the current discussion circular calls on the Chair to assess the immediate relevance of current discussion. If found to be circular, the Chair may allow a "Call to Question" which requires $\frac{2}{3}$ of executive support to pass. If the Call to Question passes, the motion immediately enters a vote.
 - Circular hand motion / "Circular" in the chat
 - "I would like to call to question the current motion"

Voting: Performed through raised hands, either in person or over the Google Meet, in the following order:

1. Those declaring Conflict of Interest (counted as Abstentions)
2. Those In Favor
3. Those Against
4. Those Abstaining

5. Administrative Motions

Title:	Adoption of the Agenda		
Mover:	Manaal	Second:	Quinn

Language:	English
BIRT	The agenda be adopted as presented.
Result:	Motion passes
Discussion:	

Title:	Approval of Previous Meeting Minutes		
Mover:	Manaal	Seconder:	Xavier
Language:	English		
BIRT:	The minutes of the previous meeting be approved, as presented: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vyMxKxxHjxKjniPPzFllpOISG9SZ8DzbRvuJ7LvWXc/edit		
Result:	Motion passes		
Discussion:			

6. Executive Updates

- **Manaal - Chair**

Manaal: The first thing is on the org or the branch level. I have been attending Ottawa section meetings and it's struggling to get in touch with the branch counselor and have been messaging her and hoping for a response. I really wish this could have been done a lot earlier but nothing to do. Steven gave good advice on branch activities, I have been following with SPAC as well. I scheduled a meeting with amir, looking for recommendations and we are one of the branches with the lowest engagement, so I have plans to change that in the year. Coming back to our branch, we'll talk about 101 week and have been following up with ESS, talking to mackenzie and Sophia, as well as Aiden. For internal things I have been planning out other details for the year for the calendar to plan what to spend and what to order. Lastly, Saheen resigned as treasurer for IEEE, he's contributed a lot. When we start By-elections we'll need to do something for treasurer. Fayza and I did meet and will need to meet again to figure out inventory and office booking scheduling using a form to book the office and increase engagement. The office is open to any STEM students and doesn't just belong to the execs. We have all these tools in the office, so Fayza and I will see that it's managed. I have other WIE updates that I can take offline and forward them.

Joey: I filled in the key form, I don't know where to go from there

Manaal: once you fill it out I have to sign off on it, just get it signed off by me and send it to the SITE reception email. For anyone who hasn't, please get keys before start of the year to delay office hours

Joey: Should I @ you in the discord with the key form

Manal: whatever works for you

- **Jad - Vice-Chair**

Jad: I have been in Lebanon so I have been busy. I sent out some lettuce meets for bi-weekly meetings for the whole fall semester to accommodate everyone, and another link to be sent soon is the office hour one for all execs, so 2 hours a week and put it on lettuce meet for office hours. Last year we had an issue where fall office hours had not been finalized later in. We have a cart now in the office which will be helpful for events.

Eric: I would have like to be kept in the loop

Farah: when Fall funding comes in can you let me know

- **Quinn - VP Social**

Quinn: I want to plan something on IEEE day oct 1st, but not many updates

Jad: excited to see what you have planned

- **Aya - VP Merch**

Aya: firstly, the forms I have sent out I have only gotten 6 responses, if everyone can respond it would be good to get opinions. Also thinking maybe if you guys want we can customize them and somewhere to put in messages for merch. Secondly, I still need a vote for which logo to use and sent out a message a while ago for some of the designs, but there was a question on using the IEEE logo like the new one, so that as well once we on the same page I can put in the orders, it's better to do it ASAP and the earliest we can do is 101 week. I know Sacha is in europe and I need to talk to him about the patches design to turn it into stickers. Also, if Saheen is not here who do we talk to about reimbursements

Manaal: till we get a treasurer it's going to be Jad and I

Aya: I just need a decision on which logo to use and everyone to answer the google form

Jad: let's do a quick vote now on which logo to use.

Manaal: I want to make sure everything is mixing well so keep it consistent. Now that you bring it up, I'll sort this out pretty soon.

Jad: please look at announcements and vote for when we decide on

- **Maddy - WIE Chair + Somana - WIE Vice-Chair**
 - Working on instagram posts to hire remaining WIE execs + google form to accept applications. Setting up interview questions + times with Somana, aim to hire by the end of August/early September and begin onboarding.
 - Met with Carleton WIE chair to book W&C venue + discuss date
 - Meeting with Carleton WIE team again next week

Madison: Somana isn't here, we have been working on instagram and our goal is to hire by the end of august and start on-boarding then and met with jojo to discuss Wine and Cheese and I don't think there are any conflicts. I am meeting with the carleton team next week to talk about more wine and cheese stuff.

Jad: what month

Madison: january

Jad: I'll just clarify WIE is an affinity group for IEEE

Madison: I wanted to talk about potentially putting a post as collaborative for IEEE and WIE and might conflict with Akhil's aesthetic, so maybe we can talk about that

Akhil: I can tell you about it, my updates involve the design ideas. I can show you that when I present

- **Xavier - VP Equity**

Xavier: I don't have any updates, if I can just give my event calendar now and jump off is that good?

Jad; yes

Xavier: So since part of my mandate one philanthropy event, for winter we do battle royal we can do March 1st and 2nd, same time as last year.

Manaal: The only thing I have with the march dates is personally make sure nothing is happening on campus. Uottawa hack is happening in March and another huge thing is coming in March so make sure the weekend isn't taken. Let's not compete with Uottawa hack and look over those dates gain

Farah: I just want to let Xavier know that before choosing a BR date we have to talk to Carleton side because it is collaborative event we can't choose a date

Joey: you said we have to contact carleton in the game dev club?

Farah: yeah you have to contact them.

Xavier: For fall, maybe at the end of October or the start of november. Between finals and midterms we can do an event but not sure what to do yet. It's flexible but still would like some ideas or input

Jad: you have little to go on with no transition report but we can talk about this when we have more time

Xavier: I was suppose to have a meeting for Manal but my fault. I have to go now from the meeting

Jad: Xavier is VP equity now? Not VP phill. Change that

- **Kevin - Secretary**

No updates

- **Fayza - Mcnaughton Director**

Fayza: I don't have too many updates either like Manaal was saying we were making a form for booking the office. I did take a preliminary inventory check already but did not complete it. I want to take a form to book equipment in the office too. When I get back I want to recheck the inventory and also revamp the office and eventually send out a form for what you guys want. Also mcnaughton grant which I haven't gotten to yet

- **Farah - VP External**

- SPAC: Nov 1st at Brookstreet Hotel (event in collaboration with IEEE Ottawa Section and Ottawa student branches)
 - As the patronage lead, I have been working on rounding up sponsors for the event.
 - So far we have officially confirmed ISED, NRC, CBSA, and Nokia.
 - Other patrons pending. (GM, Nordion, Microchip, other IEEE societies, etc)
 - Working on RBC application for sponsorship under our branch. (separate from club funding application sent earlier)
 - If you think you know any companies that would be interested (like your workplace), I would love for people to share our patronage package and let them know what SPAC is.
 - Shared comms email with marketing team so when the time comes, they will reach out to us to post about SPAC and spread the word.
- Cienna Networking Night: Oct 7th at STM 117 (in collab with hack the hill, CSSA, Scesoc)

- Set up the ticket tailor registration page.
- should have marketing material available for distribution August 31st - Sept 1st.
 - will share info with ess for their september newsletter when I receive this as well.
- If anyone needs any contact with clubs/ ess/ sub- associations/ companies for potential events let me know:)

Farah: I've been working on rounding up sponsors for the event and currently working on the RBC application on our branch and if you guys know any companies who would be interested let me know or what to say to them. Also I shared our comms email to the marketing team. So Akhil you should be getting something soon. Any questions about SPAC?

Akhil: about that SPAC night what does it stand for again.

Farah: Student professional awareness conference. It's just a little networking event and conference day. Also Cienna networking night and we should have marketing material by end of the month.

- **Joey - VP Academic**
 - No Updates
- **Eric - VP Internal**
 - Use of the IEEE office for events if supervised by an IEEE executive. In the past, people have held movie nights, watched tv shows, worked on capstone projects, etc. in the office. There is no official policy on it that I know of, but I would like to confirm that we consider it acceptable for IEEE uOttawa executives to let gatherings that are unaffiliated with the IEEE to take place in the IEEE office if they are supervised by an executive.
 - 3D printer management. We have a really nice 3d printer in the office; who among us is in charge of it? Traditionally, that was under the McNaughton Center Director's role but I don't know that that role was taken in the most recent election (If no one does, I can figure that out since there are others of the same model in JMTS)

Eric: about the 3D printer basically

- **Sacha - Webmaster**

Manaal: Sacha is away so I will tell the updates. What he is doing he can't work on the website because he is on vacation and the website is hard to run because the code is bad, but he will revamp the website not create another one from scratch. A lot will be done in fall

- **Akhil - VP Communications**

- I've (somewhat) completed the mood board for this semester's design philosophy
- Working through the trainings to get the keys tho lol (There are so many omg)
- Definitely send me the meet the team posts n stuff if you want me to post it
- When the semester starts, I wanna make a welcome to the school year video introducing all of the committee
- Lmk what I need to d
- o for the other agm elections.
- Also should I start preparing our IEEE server that we were planning to make?
- Also it would be pretty cool to have a google home mini/echo dot in the office (its like \$30 on sale) Would be a nice thing to have a speaker if people wanna play musing while working there.

Akhil: first of all complete the mood board somewhat, will share it. When the semester starts I want to let everyone know while we are on call. I want to make a welcome to the school year video and introduce the staff from IEEE. Let me know if you want anything done in AGM elections. Should I start preparing the IEEE server we have been planning

Jad: Yes sure

Manaal: would be nice to get the server done before the start of school year for advertising during 101 week.

Akhil: Regarding treasury things we could have one of those google minis, those small speakers and it would be nice if someone wanted to use the space.

Jad: did you mean by elections instead of AGM

Akhil: yes my bad

Jad: I need pictures for the exec shit posts, I am missing pictures from a lot of people. Nice to get the student body to know us as friendly

Akhil: should we also send descriptions for our posts

Jad: we'll send out the funny questions soon, if anyone has ideas for funny questions let us know

7. Discussions

i) 101 Week Preparation

Manaal: for 101 week. IEEE is participating, so bare minimum is 1 representative of every org including our own. I need a volunteer from one of you guys to make it. I'll put the message in our server and one of you guys can volunteer. It's a very good opportunity to help freshmen. Try to participate in 101 activities. In addition, we also have uottawa clubs fair, help in engagement with IEEE and spread awareness.

Quinn:

Farah: I will already be there so I can represent IEEE if no one is able to go

Akhil: regarding 101 week and helping others, I remember mentioning something in the server. We should have some sort of student advice column especially for 101 week just for students to talk on how to manage time. Just questions a lot of students have and go through as 1st years. This could help them in future endeavors.

Jad: Regarding what you said Akhil, if it's after our next exec meeting, then everyone can share their opinions otherwise talk about in discord. About the booths and at club fairs. So the more people that show up the more friendly we are and the more visibility we get. The better the booth is, the more welcoming it is, which is very important. Last year we did not have a big booth and not a lot of people got to know IEEE.

Farah: I was wondering if we chose our 101 week symbol yet.

Manaal: Now that you reminded me I meant to bring this up and confirm with Akhil and aya what the plan is and then Aiden. So follow up on that

Farah: will do so

Manaal: brings this discussion to the end and highly recommend check IEEE server to not miss any pings

ii) Event Calendar Making

Manaal: Quinn has set up the calendar or will do so soon. Can we put every possible event confirmed or unconfirmed and put it on the calendar. After our first official meeting we can go over the events there. I want to plan around the annual budget based on the calendar. A lot of this stuff is revised in our mandates but ping Jad or me if you have any questions. If you want to collaborate with someone else just let me know

Jad: Planning events might be new to some people, if you have questions about room booking or other stuff reach out to me and manaal. As soon as they talk about it on the discord just fill in what you have set. If you have an event you are doubting just message Manaal and I.

Manaal: That's pretty much all I have to bring up

8. Varia

Manaal: can we please get a tentative team bonding come up earlier in the school year. Better to have a team bonding schedule for events throughout the year. Let's have that discussion going forward it would be nicer to have it sorted out earlier

Jad: will work with Quinn about that and there will be a lot of lettuce meets. Please reminder lettuce meets for bi-weekly meetings fill ASAP. Look out for the vote for the two logos as Aya mentioned. Submit key forms ASAP office hours will start soon

9. Adjournment

Title:	Adjourn the meeting		
Mover:	Joey	Second:	Quinn
Language:	English		
BIRT:	The meeting be adjourned at 7:07		
Result:	Meeting is adjourned		
Discussion:			

Closing Remarks